We are ornamenting our lives with and by the promises of God this Advent season…
“ . . . seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.
For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust. 2 Peter 1:3,4
I hate to admit it, but sometimes I catch myself reading the Word of God like the t.v. listings, just looking for something interesting. When that happens, I slow down and force myself to look as if I were panning for gold … let’s do that with these verses.
- His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness.
- This through the true knowledge of Him.
- He called us.
- It was by His own glory and excellence that we were called.
- By these …
- By what? By His glory and excellence, it seems.
- He granted to us His precious and magnificent promises.
- (Promises? Really? Not grace, not favor, not strength? Well, all the grace, favor, strength, faith, hope, and love that we will ever need has been PROMISED to us … we have what we believe, and we believe what was promised … that works!)
- We are meant to partake of the Divine Nature.
- It is by His promises that we do so.
- We have escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.
- (Why is that in there? A reminder?)
- (Divine nature is juxtaposed against corruption and lust.)
- It is by His precious and magnificent promises that we get where we want to go and have what we desire, the image of Christ in this world.
We said of the dry bones on the day of the unattractive ornament … Of course only the Lord knows . . . except for the things He has made known! Of things lifeless and without sinew or wholeness, things crumbling to dust, dead, disjointed, piles of deadness, “Can they live?” Only the Lord knows, unless He has already made mention of His promises and made known to us what He will do, has done, wants us to do or believe.
Even when we were dead in sins, (He) hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) Ephesians 2:5, KJV
For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate. Luke 15:24 NIV
For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Isaiah 41:13, NIV
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. James 1:5, NIV
The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” Deuteronomy 31:8, NIV
We’re getting there! Of course! . . . we travel by faith, believing, as pleases the Lord. Better than over the river and through the woods, better than home for the holidays … one foot in front of the other, into the heart of God.
by francois, by permission, Wikipedia